If you’re looking to get the best out of your content, content repurposing is one of the best ways to do just that. Today, Hyphen Creatives is taking a deep dive into content repurposing. We’re going over what it is and discussing why it’s important. We’re also taking a look at a few ways to do it effectively.
What is Content Repurposing?
Content repurposing is the practice of reusing existing content elements and presenting them in new, refreshed formats. This repurposed content usually retains the core ideas and messaging of the original piece, simply presenting the information in a new way.
This process allows you to extend your content’s reach to engage new audiences and achieve different marketing goals. It’s also a simple solution to content ideation, as it allows you to build on what you already have, rather than having to come up with new ideas.
Why Should You Repurpose Content?
Repurposing old content, or even creating new content with repurposing in mind, comes with a wide range of benefits. From saving you time to improving your SEO and helping you maximise your return on investment, this strategy allows you to keep publishing quality work, without the pressure of creating new content from scratch.
Improve Your SEO
Search engines tend to prioritise new, fresh content, so repurposing old content can help get you back onto a search engine’s radar and your content is more likely to show up in results pages. Additionally, multiple pieces of content containing similar targeted keywords allow search engines to recognise your brand as a source of authority, as you’re putting out a variety of content forms that provide value to your users.
Grow Your Audience
Whether you’re generating new content from scratch or reusing old content, all pieces of content you produce are an opportunity for you to reach a new audience. Some users prefer reading long-form articles, while others prefer impactful visuals, so refreshing and republishing old content is a great way to appeal to and reach more members of your target audience.
Updated Marketing Strategies
Revisiting old content is also a great way to improve previous content marketing strategies. From identifying different keywords to optimise around, updating statistics, and adding a few new links to completely restructuring the format, simple adjustments will help you add new value to older content.
Efficient Content Creation
Repurposing content can also facilitate a quicker content creation process, as it allows you to spend less time on the initial steps like topic brainstorming and keyword research compared to creating new content.
Selecting Content for Repurposing
Content that has performed well in the past is likely well-written and covers a strong, relevant topic. That makes your well-performing content a great pick for repurposing. Similarly, revisiting underperforming content with a fresh perspective and breathing new life into it can help boost its performance. Content about topics that have become relevant again is another great choice for repurposing, as customer tastes can often repeat themselves.
How to Repurpose Content
Repurposing content means taking a piece of content and reworking it to use somewhere else. If you’re looking to repurpose existing content for other channels, one place to start is to have a look at your metrics to identify what performed well. With this information in mind, you can brainstorm the best ways to provide value to your audiences with the same content in different forms. Have a look at some more specific ways to repurpose content below.
Repurposing Blog Content
If you have a blog, the chances are good that you already have a variety of good-quality pieces of content. While it may not seem like an easy task to convert your text-heavy posts into different formats, there are ways to effectively repurpose this content. Some ways are:
- Creating a YouTube Video: How-To pieces are perfect options for informative YouTube videos, especially when paired with eye-catching graphics.
- Creating an Infographic: If you have blog posts with statistics and data, an infographic is a great way to repurpose those posts. A visual summary of your hard-hitting information is an engaging and meaningful way to create new content, and these graphics can also be shared on social media.
- Extracting Thought Leadership Quotes: If you incorporate the insights of industry experts and thought leaders in your posts, their valuable quotes can be repurposed and used in infographics, used as snippets in emails and newsletters, or posted to your social media.
- Building on Blog Content: Blogs also provide an excellent opportunity to generate social media posts. For example, if you have a 500-word blog post, you can create one social media post that links back to the article on your website. Then, you can take the paragraphs from that article and turn each paragraph into a social media post, again linking each to the same article. This will help with your SEO, as it will drive organic traffic to your website.
Repurposing for Social Media
Social media can accommodate various content types, making it the perfect platform to repurpose existing content. Here are some options for repurposing content for social media:
- Reusing Old Images as Post Backgrounds: If you have a high-quality visual you’ve only used once, you can repurpose them as post backgrounds for quotes from blog posts. You can also reuse the image as-is to draw new audience attention to a past project.
- Post Snippets from Previous Videos: If you have any existing business-related videos, posting edited-down snippets is a great way to reuse this content.
- Post User-Generated Content: User-generated content includes reviews, once-off tweets from customers, and more. This content can be repurposed for your social media platforms.
- Create New Infographics: Infographics are a valuable repurposing strategy. Data visualisations can have a greater impact than longer-form content, as your audience can picture the significance of the information you’re giving them.
- Extract Quotes from Existing Content: Extracting quotes from high-performing content and turning them into social media posts can have a great impact on channels like Instagram and Twitter, particularly when they’re great insights from thought leaders.
Other Ways to Update Old Content
Some other innovative and engaging ways to repurpose your content can include:
- Turning Blog Posts Into Guides: If you have a particular topic you cover regularly, of a range of unique topics within your industry, this content can be collected and repurposed into a comprehensive guide that could help you attract more customers.
- Turning Internal Data Into Case Studies: Reviews and customer testimonials are great social proof that your product works, and allow you to generate more credibility. This data can be an excellent basis for a compelling case study that will help you build trust among your customers.
- Compile Customer Service Questions Into an FAQ Page: Compiling an FAQ page from your most frequent customer queries will allow customers to access answers easily, and also frees up your customer service team from answering the same questions multiple times.
- Creating Content Roundups: Grouping similar content on your website or blog within emails or even social media posts on a weekly or monthly basis is a great way to get your pre-existing content in front of new audiences. It also allows people to see what content they missed and what’s available.
- Refresh Content with Quality Copywriting: Whether you proofread and update an old blog post or revisit an old social media post, updating your content with great copywriting will help you keep your content fresh and engaging.
- Updating Old Content with New Information: Updating your content with new information and graphics will help you engage with your community, provided the content isn’t dated.
- Tying Old Content to Current News Stories: Drawing connections between current news stories and older content is another excellent way to repurpose what you’ve already produced, and to help your audience deepen their understanding of a particular topic.
Leverage Your Content to Drive Engagement With Hyphen Creatives
No matter the platform or marketing element, the high-quality content you create is designed to provide value to your audiences. Creating this content from scratch takes time, care, and resources, which makes content repurposing the perfect supplementary content creation strategy.
As experts in the digital marketing sphere, we have experience in implementing content creation and repurposing processes to help you bring every piece of content to life.
Contact Hyphen Creatives today at email@example.com to find out more about how we can design a content creation and repurposing strategy that reaches and engages your target audience.